Originally written on the 2nd August Although I’ve planned this experiment for a while, the timing isn’t chance. Today we moved house - leaving behind 20Mb broadband and arriving in a house which doesn’t have a phone line or cable service. And - for now - we’ll do without them…
So now we’re moved in and the stuff is unpacked comes the first test - can I get both of us online before the end of the first day?
Right now I have:
…and I need to get 2 laptops and an WiFi iPad online.
- We have excellent Three coverage - a strong 3G and frequently HSDPA signal. The MiFi gets everyone online quickly.
- We have some Vodafone 3G coverage depending on location in the house.
- The first generation MiFi doesn’t charge in-use. It quickly runs out of battery (it wasn’t fully charged) so mobile WiFI stops for the day.
- Not all radio chip-sets are created equal and the Dell laptop is very unhappy with the weak signal, dropping the connection and struggling in areas where even an iPhone can cope.
- Get into the habit of charging the MiFi between uses.
- Work-out a better back-up plan than the Dell and its built-in connection.